Saturday, December 3, 2016

Kid-Friendly Christmas Home Tour 2016

Welcome back!  My husband and I are anxiously counting the days until all our children and grandchildren are here for Christmas!  Making the house and decor safe for everyone has been the real theme of this year's decorating plan.

Now that the tree is up and we've got some natural and neutral ornaments, lets continue the theme with some parent-approved fun things that the kids can touch and play with!

For the past few years, I've looked around for an affordable kid-friendly nativity set.  Most of them didn't fit into my budget, or the parts were too tiny to have around babies.  When I saw this terrific DIY Nativity set made from 2x4's and with FREE printables, I knew it would be perfect!  (You could even make them double-sided, if you would like.)  Click on the link to go to Ginger Snap Crafts and make a set for your family!

Ginger Snap Crafts

A Christmas tree naturally attracts the little ones because they want to touch all the pretties on it!  To give the kiddos something of their own that they can touch, I made this cute felt Christmas tree and ornaments for them to decorate to their heart's content!


To make the tree, I used a large piece of green felt about 30" W x 48" L, and cut the tree out freehand. I used the sticky pieces from Command Strips to anchor it to the wall.  For the ornaments, I printed out shapes, and traced around them onto colored felt.  Fabric glue was used to add some trims onto the snowman, package bows, etc.  Even though felt sticks to felt,I recommend adding a small square of the hook part of Velcro to the backs of the ornaments, using hot glue.
The felt tree idea came from: Sol and Rachel; I Can Teach My Child; and Wild and Wisdom.   Check them out for even more inspiration!

To see other fun ideas, visit my Pinterest board, Kid-Friendly Christmas to find other great ideas to incorporate into your Christmas decor.

Now, how about a quick photo "tour" of our Christmas decorated home?







Brown paper packages, tied up with string (and red velvet bows)
These are a few of my favorite things!

Tree and ornaments

Real logs wrapped in red mini lights!



O Holy Night Printable Banner


Shiplap Sign


TV Media Console
Gallery Wall

Updated Craigslist Furniture

DIY Mug Holder
Sending my very best wishes for a happy and blessed Christmas for you and your family!



No comments:

Post a Comment