Wednesday, August 3, 2016

"Grow Old Along With Me" Shiplap Sign


On Mother's Day weekend, my sweet Hubs surprised me with a short road trip to Magnolia in Waco, Texas!  He was super generous with me, and helped me pick out a few things for our home that would also serve as mementos of our visit.



One of the items we bought was this darling metal sign, designed by Joanna Gaines(from a Robert Browning poem) and made by Jimmy Don Holmes, a Waco metal artist. The original sign was created for a cute couple for their "Little House on the Prairie" (episode 1 of season 2) on Joanna's popular show, "Fixer Upper" on HGTV.  If you've been living in a cave, and haven't seen this show, you will laugh so hard at her husband Chip's antics! They are an awesome, talented couple, and Hubs and I watch every single episode.

Deciding that I wanted to hang our sign on a shiplap wall, (I LOVE the farmhouse-style look!) but living in a modern house with no shiplap in sight, proved to be a no-go.  Instead, I decided to make my own small-size "faux" shiplap. If you don't have a clue what shiplap is, click here.

Materials:

  • one 4" X 5' board, cut into 3 equal pieces, roughly 20-inches each (I used pallet wood boards)
  • glass doorknob and door plate (look at antique stores or flea markets) 
  • one metal plaque (Magnolia Market sells this sign in 2 sizes; we purchased the smaller size)
  • white wash paint (recipe below)
  • 2- five gallon paint stir sticks (free from home improvement stores)
  • sandpaper
  • 3/4-inch wood screws
  • 2 - "D" hangers
Cut the paint stir sticks to about 8 inches each.
Attach the 3 boards together using the paint stir sticks, using screws. When putting in the top screw, go ahead and put the "D" hangers on. (see photo below)

  
Turn your board over, sand smooth, and paint with white wash paint.



Next, check your layout (I actually did this before I sanded and painted). Lightly mark where the two holes are at the top of the sign.



Now, attach the sign to the front of the board with screws; attach the door plate with screws (it probably has holes in it already, top and bottom), and finally attach the glass door knob to the door plate with an epoxy or something like JB Weld glue.  (My knob was already attached to the plate)

Oh! See that fresh-faced, young couple in the framed photo above?  That's Hubs and me, just 7-1/2 weeks after we got married!  It's been over 33 years since that day, and growing old together just gets better all the time, especially since I get to do it with the BEST husband EVER.
"Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God." 
Philippians 1:3 (MSG)



No comments:

Post a Comment