Or, how I spent my summer (and fall) vacation
Time sure flies when your DIYing! I really had good intentions to write this post a while ago, but have been caught up with projects and traveling.
In my last post, I showed you how we easily revealed beautiful hardwood floors that were hidden under carpeting in the dining room of my daughter and son-in-love's home. During that visit, I also lent a hand in painting the paneling in the basement! Just look at the dramatic before and after photos:
|The dark paneling, old wagon wheel chandeliers, and old floor.|
|A portion of the family room with the old wood burning insert.|
The other project happening in their home at that time was a new stair handrail and newel posts. This DIY project was "easy" for me, because I just watched my very talented son-in-love create this project from scratch! That's right, it all came from his own hands, from his own design. His newel posts are gorgeous, aren't they?
|Before: Metal handrails with wide spaces between the balusters|
The floor tiles and stairwell light were both replaced after this photo was taken.
|Precious babies can stick their heads (or entire bodies) between these wide balusters -- not safe!|
|New stairwell walls (SAFE) and beautiful custom-made newel posts!|
|Entry way -- Painting in progress!|
|Family room level -- painting in progress!|
One of the first projects was putting in new flooring in the upstairs bathroom:
|First, we removed a built-in carpeted step next to the bathtub.|
After removing the step next to the bathtub, we discovered only the sub-floor underneath.
(Please ignore the toddler's galoshes and the foil from a recent hair coloring. This is real life, folks!)
To even-up the floor next to the bathtub, (to the same level of the original sheet vinyl floor),
we used odd leftovers we found in the garage, as "filler".
We also found pieces of baseboard in the garage to fill-in where there old step had been.
|Laying the last piece of the new vinyl!|
After replacing the baseboards, we later installed a piece of quarter-round molding in front of the bathtub to give it a finished look.
We also patched and painted the walls where the old step had been.
We took a chandelier and spray painted it from brassy to oil-rubbed bronze. An inexpensive update for little $$. It's a nice option for homeowners that are keeping within a tight budget!
We held a "Help fix-up our house" party, and several people came over and helped spruce up the yards, repair the deck, and paint the entry doors. The front of the house was power-washed by a kind neighbor, plus he replaced torn & missing "critter screens" under the eves. It's amazing how much good friends will do for you in return for pizza and beverages!
There are a few things that they've hired a handyman to do, such as repairing some tiles in the downstairs shower, correcting some very minor plumbing issues, installing a dimmer switch, and fixing a pocket door. Other than that, all of it has been "sweat-equity, do-it-yourself" projects.
Sometimes, DIY is fun, and sometimes it's just a necessity, and mostly it will save you money. It's almost always educational, and I've learned to get outside of my comfort zone to tackle things that give a huge sense of accomplishment in the end!
**Update: All of the updates, refreshes, and repairs immediately caught the eye of a buyer! They were under contract within a month!
If you are thinking of selling your home, I have a post about 5 Tips to Getting It SOLD when we sold our house in Idaho in just 3 short weeks!
There is also a a comprehensive article on Simple Ideas on How to Organize Your Home on Top Reveal which I think you would enjoy reading.