Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Thrift Store Furniture Makeover

Hey Friends!  So glad you stopped by!  I've been away for a short while because Ed & I recently experienced the loss of his sweet mother.  Sometimes, you have to take time for family and yourself to start to heal from such a loss.  Thank God that we know that she is in heaven with Jesus, praising around the throne of God.  I appreciate all of you who prayed for us during our time of loss.

Today I'm sharing a recent makeover of a 1920's Art Deco Vanity that I picked up at Goodwill for $30.00.


When I looked the desk over, I saw that it had dovetailed drawers, original drawer pulls, and it was nice and sturdy.  If a piece isn't sturdy, or has to have major repairs, I will usually pass it up.

This desk didn't need sanding or repairs so I removed the handles, cleaned it up and let it dry before applying the first coat of three of Waverly Chalk Paint in Plaster.  This paint went on so smoothly, and I was happy that I chose to use it on this piece!  After allowing each coat dry for 24-hours between coats, I applied Waverly White Wax as a sealer.  I applied 2 coats of the wax because I'm sure that this desk will get a lot of use.

While waiting for paint to dry, I thoroughly cleaned the handles, and then painted them with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint.  This has been my go-to color for handles, metal accents, etc.

What do you think of it as a makeup table?

Oh, and I lined the drawers with some pretty contact paper:



You might recognize it from an earlier project, my Dresser-to-TV Media Console:


That Contact paper is so versatile and goes with many kinds of decor, don't you think?

And there you have it, the completed makeover of this 1920's Art Deco style Vanity Desk.  I love it, and I love the small investment that I made to get it looking good, and it turned out so well!



Do you want to share a photo of a makeover that you've completed?  Go over to my Facebook page, and show me your projects!





No comments:

Post a Comment