Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Tiny Table gets a Chalk Paint & Stain Makeover

A few days ago, Hubs and I happened to be driving past the Thrift Shop on Hickam Air Force Base, here on Oahu.  Since it's only open a few days a week, I casually asked if we could stop in. He said Yes!
Whoo Hoo! {This rarely happens without a lot of heavy sighs on his part.}

We found a few little treasures that day, including this sturdy, tiny table:
Hubs actually was the one that suggested we get a little table to use for our Dyson tabletop fan. We are constantly shuffling things on and off of the wooden tray we currently use for the fan, and it's a hassle.
{My secret plan was to give it a little makeover first!}

Step 1:  Sanding.

{I should have taken a "before" picture, however the photo above shows step 1 completed.}  I sanded down the top...first using medium grit sandpaper in our palm sander, and then using very fine sandpaper, until it was silky smooth...I needed to take this area down to bare wood for the stain to adhere.  The legs were lightly sanded by Hubs, since I read that when using chalk paint, it wouldn't require sanding or priming.  We wiped down all the dust from the entire table before moving on.

Step 2: Staining.

Using Minwax Wood Finish in Provincial, I applied the first of 2 coats using a cheap foam brush, following the directions on the can and website, and allowing at least 4-6 hours drying time between coats.  {I actually waited a full day.} Once you've brushed on the stain, you wait 5-15 minutes and then wipe off the excess stain with a clean, lint free rag. I used a clean, old white sheet that I cut up into cloths.
The directions said "do not sand between coats of stain", however, I noticed that the edges didn't absorb the stain evenly {probably due to the old lacquer on the wood}, so I re-sanded the edges with medium grit sandpaper and gave a light sanding with the very fine sandpaper to the top, just for good measure.  After wiping it thoroughly, I applied the second coat of stain, waited 15 minutes and wiped off the excess. The top is exactly the rich, dark color I was hoping for!



Step 3: Mixing the DIY Chalk Paint.

I've really been wanting to try out CeCe Caldwell's Paints, however, I was also intrigued about all the Pins I'd seen about DIY chalk paint.  I did a bit of research, reading blogs of others who had experimented with the various "recipes" out there, and I chose to make the Plaster of Paris version I found here.
{Thanks to Sharon at Elizabeth & Co. for the recipe and also for answering some of my questions regarding how many coats, etc.}  The color I mixed has no name, since I just dumped in about 4 colors of paint that I had on hand that I wanted to use! If you want a close match, try Embellished Blue by Behr {Home Depot}.

Step 4: Applying 2 Coats of DIY Chalk Paint.

Up to this point, everything had been going pretty smoothly.  Since I live in Hawaii, I kept watching for rain showers {humidity will change the way paint goes on and how it dries}, and all was good.  But, then wouldn't you know that as soon as I started applying the paint, the wind picked up, making the paint begin to dry RAPIDLY! {I moved it quickly indoors as soon as I had the paint applied, but kept the patio door and windows open for ventilation.}
The first coat was applied using an inexpensive bristle brush, and yes, it left brush marks. I wasn't too worried about that, since I kind of figured it would need 2 coats anyway.  I might suggest trying a foam roller to get a smoother look.



After it had dried for about 4 hours, I applied the second coat with a cheap foam brush, moved it back indoors to the well-ventilated area, and then waited until morning to check the results.

Step 5: Finishing.

Deciding not to heavily distress the finish, I checked out the amount of brush streaks, and did a very light sanding on the painted parts, with 220 very fine grit sandpaper. I was only looking to smooth things down just a bit, not remove a lot of the chalk paint. Afterward, I carefully wiped down all of the dust on the entire table.
Next, I took another piece of the clean, ripped up sheet, and applied a thin layer of Minwax Paste Finishing Wax in Natural, starting with the top. {It says it's for light woods, but it's the only paste wax I could find at our nearby Home Depot.}
After allowing it to dry for 10-15 minutes, I buffed the top by hand to a nice sheen.

The Reveal!



I liked working on this project because it gave me the chance to try out DIY Chalk Paint, and to really change the personality of this tiny table.  I'm so pleased with the results!
{The "Aloha Y'all" sign was made by Robin at Creative Moonlighting.}

How about you?  What project have you tried chalk paint on? Did you use the DIY recipe, or purchase pre-made chalk paint?
Or maybe you've been inspired to tackle a project on your own?  Please let me know in the comments section below!

   Blessings, Juju





No comments:

Post a Comment