Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie

Forgotten fruit.  Have you ever brought home fruit and then forgotten to eat it?  Yeah me, too.  Right now I have 3 bananas in my freezer because they became too ripe to eat. {I see banana bread in my future!}
A few days ago, there was a watermelon just sitting unnoticed in the back of our fridge...and then it became the star in a creamy and refreshing 3-ingredient drink!

Ingredients:

1 personal-sized watermelon {you'll need only 1/2}
1 cup unsweetened, frozen strawberries
1 cup vanilla ice cream {I used the no-sugar added kind}

Instructions:

Cut up 1/2 of the watermelon, remove the rind and cut into large chunks.
Remove any black seeds that you can see.
Using a blender, puree the watermelon.
{At this point I like to remove that little clear top on the blender lid for the next step.}
Add one frozen strawberry at a time through the hole in the lid, and wait until each berry is pureed.
Now add the vanilla ice cream. It just takes a few seconds to blend it all in.


Pour into glasses and enjoy.  {If you have extra, you can put it in the freezer, but don't freeze it solid. It actually becomes sweeter once it's kind of "icy". Yum! You can eat it with a spoon!}

This made 6 cups (about 2 cups per serving) and on the plus side, it's got healthy, natural fiber and there was no need to add any kind of sweetener.  What a great summertime smoothie!

So you see, sometimes you can come up with a really great new recipe from "forgotten" foods....  I think it might be time to look up Mom's Best Banana Bread recipe!

My readers are important to me, and I love to know how you like this creamy smoothie, so please leave me a comment below!

 Blessings, Juju

No comments:

Post a Comment