Friday, June 14, 2013

Simple, Homemade Pancake Syrup

Weekend breakfasts in our home are a tradition that goes back to my childhood.  You see, normal weekday breakfasts are usually dry cereal and milk...maybe a slice of toast. Some people actually skip breakfast altogether. (Not me!)


I've been buying pancake syrup for years (with a coupon, of course!), but recently I started reminiscing about my mom's warm, homemade pancake syrup, so today I decided to try my hand at replicating it (without a recipe!)


  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
  • 1/2 teaspoon liquid butter flavoring


Put the water and sugars ingredients into a medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve. Turn on the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high...enough to it still boils but won't boil over. Boil and stir for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the maple flavoring and butter flavoring.
Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes. {I usually pour it into a heatproof bowl and stir it to assist the cooling process.}
Pour warm syrup over hot pancakes.

I recommend pouring the cooled syrup into a clean mason jar, refrigerating the syrup for up to 2 weeks. If it starts to crystallize, just sit the jar into a pot of warm water.
This syrup is also good drizzled over vanilla ice cream!



No comments:

Post a Comment