Thursday, October 25, 2012

EASY Chicken Soft Tacos

Aloha! Since schedules are a bit different in this active household, I've sometimes had to cook ahead to accommodate when we eat.  Once again, I used the Crock Pot {slow cooker} to cook the chicken. It kept the apartment somewhat cooler, and right before assembling the tacos, all I had to do was shred!

Easy Chicken Soft Tacos
One pound of chicken {I used boneless, skinless thighs}
2 cups of water
Taco seasoning {I use a homemade one, but you can use what you like}
Lettuce, tomato, salsa, sour cream, cheese
6 to 8 Flour tortillas {I used the medium size}

Place the chicken in the slow cooker and cover with the water. Plug it in. {why did I just put that in, any guesses?} Set to cook on high for 4 hours OR low for 6 hours.
An alternate way of cooking the chicken is to boil a pot of water on the stovetop, and cook the chicken for about 15-20 minutes. {In case you forgot to plug in the slow cooker!}

Shred the cheese {that is, if you're a penny-pincher like me and you bought a block of cheese. Skip this step if you went hog-wild at the store and bought the pre-shredded bag of cheese}.
Then, of course you will have to tear or chop up some lettuce, too. And the tomato will need diced. You know the drill... I dont need to tell you all of this, do I?

Once your chicken is done, you'll need to shred it. Here is a really cool way to shred your chicken:

Yep, its that simple. Just put the HOT chicken pieces into the mixer bowl, use the paddle attachment and it takes about 30 seconds to a minute. Mind blown? Yep!
Unfortunately, my DIL doesn't have a Kitchen Aid mixer {yet! Christmas is commin}, so I just shredded using 2 forks. The chicken was so tender, it was very easy.

You can add the taco seasoning at this time, if youd like. Add whatever amount makes you happy, but still makes your family happy, too. Around here, "less-is-more" so I actually went with none today.

To heat the flour tortillas, put a stack of 6 in between 2 dampened paper towels, and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Zap it for about 1 minute, flip the stack over, and give it another 1 minute zap. 
To make everyone happy, I put all the ingredients out in separate bowls and let them assemble their tacos to their own liking. {Three adults ate two tacos each, and they were satisfied.}

Blessings ~ Juju

No comments:

Post a Comment