Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Gooey Oreo Bars (No Bake!)


As I’ve promised, I am posting about the challenges of cooking in a teeny-tiny kitchen.   As you will see from the photos, there is basically one small counter to use to prepare food. There is no dishwasher, so the other counter has the dish drainer on it, which is in constant use…you can’t leave dirty dishes out in this warm tropical climate, the smell will overpower this small space within minutes. ‘Nuf said. On to the good stuff ~

Gooey No Bake Oreo Bars
1 (16 oz) package Oreo cookies (yes, you can use the flavored ones!)
1 bag Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows (about 5 cups)
4 Tablespoons Butter (or margarine, but not in this house!)
Extra butter, about 1 Tablespoon
Waxed or parchment paper

Butter an 8x8” baking dish.  Then, line it with some waxed paper or parchment paper, allowing some overhang. Butter the paper, too. You’ll thank me later.
Grind the cookies in a food processor until they resemble coffee grounds. I had to use my DIL’s small food processor, and do small batches, putting the ground up cookies into an extra bowl.
Put the marshmallows and butter into a microwave safe bowl, and heat in the microwave for about 2 minutes (it will puff up!). Again, since the microwave is small, so I had to use a smaller bowl than I normally would, but I just kept an eye on it, so it didn’t puff over the bowl.
Immediately stir the ground cookies and the marshmallow mixture together. By hand. You’ll get a good 2-minute workout.
At last you can plop the mixture into your prepared dish, and using an extra piece of waxed paper, press it into the pan.
I put it into the fridge for about 15 minutes, but it doesn’t really get very firm. Cut into pieces; you can choose how big or how small you want to cut ‘em. I won’t judge.

It is oooey, gooey Oreo goodness! Enjoy!

Blessings, Juju

No comments:

Post a Comment