Sunday, April 1, 2012

Aunt Letha's Creeping Crust Cobbler

We don't "mess" with old family recipes, especially when they came from the Texas side of the family.  My Aunt Letha gave me this recipe back in 1977 when I was a teenager, and I have it memorized, it's that easy.
Now, Auntie used a deep iron skillet to make this, but I've switched to a polish pottery baking dish. I haven't noticed a difference in taste, it's still yummy comfort food!


Aunt Letha's Creeping Crust Cobbler
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 quart OR 2 cans of fruit, drained (your choice)


Melt butter in skillet (I melted it in a glass measuring cup in the microwave, and then poured it into the baking dish).
Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl with a wire wisk.
Add the milk to the dry ingredients (p.s. I use skim milk) and mix.
Pour batter over butter - do NOT stir!
Carefully place the drained fruit over the batter (p.p.s. I use light fruit), but do not mix! (I put a light sprinkle of cinnamon on top.)


Bake at 400° F for 40-45 minutes. The crust will "creep" over the fruit, hence the name and will be a deep golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
You can use almost any fruit, even thawed frozen fruit!
Mmmm...mine's ready! Get your cobbler in the oven!

Blessings, Juju

No comments:

Post a Comment