Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Earring and Necklace Holder

Last week I realized that I have been wearing the same 3 pair of earrings recently, and it dawned on me why...they are not on display or easily accessible.  Making a trip to a nearby Michael's, I found everything I needed to make this easy project!
The heart of the holder is a small unfinished wood frame. It's 18 inches long, and about 4 inches wide.  I needed it to be fairly flat, because I plan to hang this on the back of the hinged mirror in my vanity desk. It already has hangers on the back, bonus!
The other items are:
-colored plastic canvas
-acrylic paint (I used Folk Art 410 Lavender & 901 Wicker White)
-a pack of 6 brass plated cup hooks (1/2 in.)
-a pack of square greeting cards (found in the dollar bin!)
-ribbon or trim
-- You'll also need some regular Elmer's white glue, low-temp Hot glue, paint brushes & scissors.
Trim the plastic canvas to the outside dimensions of the frame, and set aside for later. I decided to leave part of it uncovered so I could see the cross on the card. (see photo)
Trim the cards so that they fit inside the box, and set aside.
Next, choose your favorite color acrylic paint, and apply a quick coat, just around the edges.  (After mine dried, I thought it looked a bit harsh, so I simply wiped on a few drops of white paint to give it a softer, shabby-chic look.)
Next, use the Elmer's glue to glue the cards to the inside of the box. This is a pretty background, but if you prefer to paint the inside, you can!
Using the Elmer's glue, run a bead of glue around the edge of the frame, and apply the plastic canvas. Here's where you might need the low-temp glue gun...the plastic canvas tends to not want to lay flat. So, I tacked it with a few drops of the hot glue, too. Allow this to dry.
Since I had some leftover trim from our daughter's weddings, I decided to give it a finished look and added the trim around the plastic canvas.  You can add whatever embellishments that suit your taste...I went with a cross theme, since it's close to Easter.  After it's completely dry, mark out the placement for the cup hooks on the bottom of the frame, and screw them in.

Making this simple project has been fun, and it's my joy to share it with you!
 Blessings ~ Juju


No comments:

Post a Comment