Monday, June 12, 2017

How I Repaired a Deep Gouge in my Pottery Barn Table

Hi and Welcome!  With my new business, Brushed Up Furniture & More, I'm finding myself pretty busy these days, and it feels good!

Today, I'm sharing with you





When Ed & I moved back to Texas in 2014, we had a huge U-Haul truck with all our earthly belongings in it:


Except one thing: we had gifted our oak dining room table to our youngest daughter and her husband.  She loves it, uses it every single day, and we were happy to let them have it for their growing family. Here it is below, with chairs that they found on craigslist:


It's a beautiful oak table, and we have LOTS of great memories of family gatherings, birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts, etc. around that table; I'm glad we've kept it in the family.

Now that Ed & I were settling into a new place in Texas, we had to search out the perfect-for-us table, which we found on Craigslist at a bargain price.  We scored a solid pine Pottery Barn table, which fit in perfectly with our farmhouse-style! (I bought those chairs from a craigslist ad, as well.)


We LOVE it! The look and size fit us just right.  And then, there is this:


This deep gouge was on the table when we purchased it, and of course, we were aware that the table had lived through another family's life for a few years. See all those other scratches and dents? Just adds to the character and history of this table, if you ask me.  But, the unsightly, poorly repaired gouge was pretty hard to photograph around.  (Sometimes the light would hit just right, and actually make it fade out of photos!)

Well, I FINALLY decided to repair it correctly!  I started with a few items to get the job done:

The first step was to very slowly and carefully dig out the old material that was used:


I have no idea what they used, but it was hard, uneven and the wrong color.  As I worked my way down, I was searching for the place where the filler stopped, and real wood began.  I finally found it about a quarter of an inch down!  The hole is actually kind of "football" shaped, as it's wider at the surface, and deepest at the narrow bottom.


To get the hole completely clear of the old material, I used my vacuum hose to get out every last bit.

To fill the hole, I used:

and a metal putty knife. I like the metal kind, because it has more flexibility than plastic putty knives.
I pushed the wood filler into the hole, and used the flat part of the putty knife to push and flatten the wood filler to a consistent level. Then I scraped away any excess on the surrounding area, but left some to "feather" the putty out when it's sanded.

The wood filler needs 24 hours to dry completely!  This is important for such deep gouges.  I had to apply more wood filler the next day, because as it dried, the putty sank into the gouge, leaving a very slight bowl-shape.  Again, I left it to dry another 24 hours.  It's important not to rush the drying process, otherwise I'd have to start all over again.

Next, I used 100 grit and 220 grit sandpaper to carefully sand down the wood putty, flat & level on the surface of the table.  Finally, I used 2 different stains to try and match the color of the knots in the table (the darkest part).  I felt that going with dark stain - basically "faking" another knot - was easier and less likely to stand out than if I tried to match the lighter stain of the pine.  A protective coat of polyurethane finished the job!  Here's a close up:



If I had it to do over again, I think I would have tried to make the area more oval-shaped to look more like a natural knot, but what's done is done, and I'm happy that it looks so much better and blends in with the rest of the tabletop.

Can you see the repair from this angle? It certainly blends in SO much better now!




One day, I'm hoping to give the table and bench a matching makeover....here's an "inspiration" photo from the web:



I'm thinking Rust-Oleum's Chalked paint in Linen White for the base, and Minwax's Wood Finish stain in Dark Walnut!

I guess you'd say I'm like the plumber with the leaky faucets in his own home....I'm the Makeoverist with an unpainted, non-made over dining table!  One day, I WILL do this!

Until next time, be sure to follow me on Instagram and Facebook, or you can catch up with me on my Brushed Up Furniture Instagram and Facebook pages! Or Both... I'll see you there!









No comments:

Post a Comment