Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Burlap-Trimmed Muslin Curtains


KITCHEN CURTAINS/ VALANCE
Materials:
Muslin
Burlap trim (found mine at Hobby Lobby)
Lace trim (found on clearance at Hancock Fabrics)
Buttons (had most on hand, bought some at Walmart)

1. Measure windows for curtains &/or valance. Cut 2 panels for curtains, OR one long valance. I am making 2 valances for the kitchen & dining room windows. General rule of thumb: use 1 - 1/2 times the width...if windows are 24 inches wide, cut the fabric 36 inches.
2. Sew raw edges neatly. On my muslin, there is one edge that is finished, so Im going to let that be my bottom edge. If yours does not have a finished edge, then you will need to hem it.  First, on each side, I made a narrow hem. Then, I turned down a narrow hem for the top of the valance. I am using curtain clips, but if you are using a curtain rod, you will also need to create a pocket for the curtain rod; make sure the rod will slip easily through the pocket.
 3. Sew burlap onto muslin then, sew on lace on top of burlap. Finally, hot glue buttons on top of the lace.
4. Hang curtains &/or valance.  You might want to see my post about homemade window washing solution, so your windows will look their best with the new curtains!





Blessings, Juju

No comments:

Post a Comment