Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Kitchen Measuring Organizer


Here is my latest crafting attempt to organize and update our home:

This is the original idea from
The Family Handyman
Here is the idea I saw on Pinterest
from Infarrantly Creative
I actually LOVE both ideas, and I knew I could do it very inexpensively. Turns out, since I had almost all of the supplies on hand, it was practically free!

The Hubs was on his way to Home Depot, and I asked him to kindly ask the paint folks for 2 five-gallon paint stir sticks, since I forgot to get them the last time I bought paint. They graciously obliged. (FREE)


I cut off the ends to make 2 straight pieces that are about 17-1/2 inches long. They will fit the area on the inside of our cabinet doors perfectly.

Oh, and those are the hooks I use later...I used 16 of them, cost: .68¢.
Next, I put on a quick swipe of paint from some that I had left over from 

painting the living room lamp tables. (basically FREE since I used so little) 


After carefully laying out the measuring cups and marking with a pencil where the cup hooks would need to be placed, I used a small nail to make a dent, and then twisted the hooks into the wood.
I also marked the placement of where the screws will go through the ends of the sticks and into the cabinet door.  
To my surprise, the hooks went through the sticks and protruded out the back! Yikes! The original tutorial didn't say anything about this!
Then, I realized by looking at the photos, that my cabinets are flat on the inside, and don't have the frame around the outside edges.
This is how I solved that problem:
It was easy to cut off 4 pieces from the scrap ends that I had cut off of the sticks. By using wood glue to attach them to the ends of the sticks, it created just enough clearance for the ends of the cup hooks! Whew! Problem solved.
(2 other options were: to use a Dremmel tool and 
cut off the excess, or go buy smaller 5/8" cup hooks.)

Being a "novice" with my Cricut machine, I was unable to produce the vinyl lettering that Infarrantly Creative used, so I decided to see what it would look like by using my Brother P-Touch label maker. It did the job.

Next, I raided The Hubs' stash of hardware for 4 wood screws that will go all the way through the double-thickness of the sticks and into the cabinet door.  
(Just make sure you don't choose any that are TOO LONG and go through your cabinet door!!)

Once everything was ready, The Hubs helped me to mount the Kitchen Measuring Organizers onto the back of the cabinet doors.

One final touch from Infarrantly Creative that I re-created was the Measurement Conversion Chart.
I simply made it up as an Excel Document and printed it out!
Update:
We discovered that the metal cups and spoons are CRAZY NOISY when you open and close the cupboard doors! Use plastic, or don't put them inside the doors. 
I ended up putting mine on boards with magnets on the back and put them on the SIDE of the fridge. No noise! And it looks so cute.


Blessings ~ Juju



No comments:

Post a Comment