Thursday, July 13, 2017

Kitchen Pallet Wood Shelf - Easy Beginner Build!

A few years back, I used to wish for a house with an "open concept" floor plan.  Now that we've lived in one, I miss walls!  One place I'm especially missing walls is in my kitchen, because I'd love to hang this:


It's a kitchen shelf that I made out of leftover pieces from a pallet!  It was fairly straightforward, no special angled cuts or anything, and I just used my Ryobi Brad Nailer to put it together.

Here's what it looks like "au naturale":

If you'd like to try you hand at building one, here are the dimensions of each piece:

Cut Two:  2X4" pieces - 15-1/2" long
Cut Three:  1X4" pieces - 25-1/2" long; if you use pallet wood, they might be thinner than a regular 1X4
Cut One:  1X4" piece  - 22-1/2" long
Cut One: 3.4" dowel rod - 25-1/2" long

To complete the shelf as shown, you'll also need these:

Four cup hooks - white or whatever color you like
Two larger hooks - I used what I had on hand. You could get "cute" hooks at Hobby Lobby <wink>
Brad nailer & nails OR just use finish nails & a hammer
Wood glue << not white school glue
Sandpaper, 100 grit is good
Two D-style hangers

The actual shelf is hidden in between the two lower boards, installed about halfway down. This keeps things from falling or rolling off the shelf.

You don't have to have a fancy saw set-up, you could use an inexpensive miter box & saw, since everything is straight cuts.  Even Dollar Tree is selling small saws.

How To:

Before you start nailing it together, it's best to drill your holes for the dowel first.
Use a 3/4" hole cutting bit in a drill.  Measure and mark both 2X4's at the exact same place for the holes, so it will be level.  ALWAYS use a scrap piece of wood UNDER where you are drilling, so you don't damage your work surface! It's easy to go right through your 2X4" and not know where to stop.

Insert the dowel into each hole first, because it's easier to do it at this point.
Go ahead and sand down any splinters or rough spots that you don't like.


Now, glue & nail the top back board level to the two 2X4" boards as shown above.
Then, glue & nail the 2 lower boards, one on each side as shown.

Put the shelf board (the shorter one of the 4 boards) inside the front & back boards, and level it.  (I didn't bother with the glue on the shelf board, because it was hard to hold and nail at the same time. You might need an extra pair of hands to help you with it.)
Now, carefully nail through one side, into the shelf board end, with a couple of nails and then level the shelf again before you nail the other side.  Once the shelf is in, add a couple of more nails for strength.

Next, mark where you want your white hooks to go.  I spaced mine out every 5 inches:


And finally, add the two larger hooks near the top of the 2X4-inch boards.  I measured down 3-inches from the top to place mine. (Luckily, there were already holes there!)
Turn it over and install the two D-style hangers near the top of each 2X4, making sure they are at the same level on each side.  And you're DONE! (You can paint or stain it if you'd like, or just leave it natural like I have.)


What a great little project!  Straight, easy cuts, glue & nails, and you got to use a hole cutting bit, too.
Now, find a wall and put it to good use!  By adding those hooks, now you have a handy place for your measuring cups and pot holders.

This one is for sale in my shop, but I'll be making one for our next house (if I have enough wall space, that is).
Y'all know that I'm on social media: Facebook, and my Brushed Up Furniture FB page; Instagram and Brushed Up Instagram, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment