Wednesday, August 24, 2016

DIY Kitchen Tablet & Phone Holder

Living in the tech age, we can access our favorite recipes through our tablets or smartphones.  However, it can be challenging to hold your device and cook at the same time, right?  After I picked up a cutting board at a thrift store, I solved my problem!


You may have seen some of these on the internet, and here's my own version to get your creative juices flowing.  I'm also including a handy Kitchen Measurements chart to dress it up a bit.

You'll need:

  • wood cutting board or a suitability-sized piece of wood
  • L-shaped wood trim (this is where the tablet sits)
  • small piece of burlap
  • 4 upholstery tacks
  • printed Kitchen Measurements chart (see link below)
  • scrap wood for stand on back
  • wood glue
  • paint or stain of your choice
Look around on the internet for inspiration on how you want your holder to look....I've seen really cute  ones that were painted white and distressed for a farmhouse look. Or you could paint it a color what coordinates with your kitchen.

Cut the piece of wood trim to the width of the cutting board. It if needs painted or stained, do that now, and allow to dry. My trim was pre-stained and ready to go. 
Use wood glue to the flat edge of the trim and attach it to the bottom of the cutting board. You might need some small clamps to hold it on while the wood glue dries.
Stain or paint the board and trim and let dry.

When that was fully dry, cut a piece of burlap and fray the edges a bit; apply it using Mod Podge, but you could use plain 'ol white glue. Apply a thin layer to the wood, and then the burlap while the glue is still wet. It will dry clear. Now tack on the upholstery tacks onto the corners of the burlap, for a little added rustic feel.

Here is the Kitchen Measurement chart (pdf) I promised, just click on the words.

You might want to print it out on card stock and trim with scissors; I recommend that you laminate it as well.  A little trick I use is packing tape, or clear Contact paper to laminate the printed chart. This way, if anything gets splashed on it, you can wipe it clean.

For the stand, I used a plate holder at first, but then realized I wanted a more permanent stand, so I cut a scrap piece of 1" thick wood to the following dimensions:
Using wood glue along the 8" slanted side, glue to middle of the back of the cutting board, so that the 3-1/2" side rests on the table or counter.  This should give the front of the cutting board a good slant for resting your tablet of smartphone.
(If desired, stain or paint the stand after the glue has dried.)


This stand gets used every time I prepare a recipe, using either my tablet or smartphone. No more juggling it in my hands, trying to read the recipe and cook! It also keeps my device cleaner, since I'm not holding it.

You know you need this tablet holder, don't you?  Please, if you make one, I'd LOVE to see yours!  Email me a photo, and I'll probably feature yours right here, and on my social media accounts.  I'm on Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Special thanks to Karen, the Graphics Fairy, for the mason jar graphic!







No comments:

Post a Comment