Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover - The Reveal!

At last, here is the reveal of the gorgeous "new" kitchen cabinets!

(Apologies for the terrible photo above. It was taken with my old cell phone.)

If you've been following along, you know that we started out with these cabinets:


There is was, in all it's 70's "groovy" glory.  The grooves that were in the doors were chippy, and obviously gave a dated appearance to the entire kitchen. Over the 3 years that we lived here, they started looking even worse than the photo above shows.

I discovered wonderful, inspiration photos AND tutorials from Aimee Lane over at "It's Overflowing". Please visit her blog and see the AMAZING transformation of her kitchen.

After talking it all out with The Hubs, and making a project list of supplies, we were able to transform our kitchen cabinets for roughly $200.00!  Is that awesome or what?  (We had previously received a quote of over $6500.00 to "resurface" the cabinets.)  I love saving $6300.00!
Paint color for upper cabinets: Behr Premium Plus Ultra "Coastal Beige" in satin finish
from The Home Depot
We LOVE with the classic, Shaker-style cabinet doors we created for just pennies per door! Getting that look, (after the nice guy at Home Depot cut the wood for us) took us a total of about 6 hours to measure (and measure and measure) for the size of each piece and trim it to fit, then use a brad nailer to put it up on the doors and drawers. Each of our doors was a different size, so that's why it took a while. If the doors were uniformly sized, it would have gone much more quickly.
Paint color for lower cabinets: Behr Premium Plus Ultra "Espresso Beans" in satin finish
from The Home Depot
This kitchen cabinet makeover has been quite a journey for us; we've gained skills, not to mention the incredible savings, by doing the work ourselves.  (We also gained a brad-nailer and a new sander in the process!)
  
Again, I need to say "thank-you-a-thousand-times-over" to Aimee Lane at "It's Overflowing" for the inspiration and advice along the way in this journey.

To see the entire process, please click here, and go to Kitchen Cabinet Makeover - Idaho.



Sunday, July 21, 2013

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover - Upper Cabinets Done!

Here is a quick photo update of our kitchen cabinet makeover - I hope you enjoy the huge difference as much as we do!



The color on the upper cabinets is
Behr Ultra Premium Plus
"Coastal Beige"



Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover - Painting Progress!

I am SO thrilled to let you know that the painting on our kitchen cabinets has finally begun!
In case you haven't been following our progress, you can catch up HERE and HERE to see how this adventure all began.

Progress photos:
1. I recently discovered a product called "LAs Totally Awesome" and used it to clean the grime off the bottom of the cabinets that were over the stove. The grime just melted off!
2. The Hubs said we needed to elevate the doors to keep them from sticking to the drop cloths we placed on the tables, so we snagged some cans from the pantry. Worked like a charm!
3. This shows the back side of the doors, before and after the coat of primer. We used Zinzer 1,2,3. It went on evenly and covered well.
4. This shows the backs of some of the doors, drying after their coat of primer.
5. Here are the fronts with primer!
6. The first coat of paint on the door fronts!!


And here is the second (and hopefully final) coat of paint on the fronts.  What a huge difference it makes! We are using Behr Premium Plus Ultra in a Satin finish. The color of the upper cabinets is "Coastal Beige".  (No, I am not a compensated endorser, I just know that someone will ask.)


We were originally going to use The Hubs' auto paint sprayer for this project, but the guy at the paint desk steered us toward using a roller instead. He knows his stuff, so we used a 4-inch roller and a 1-inch brush for "cutting in" on the inside edges. For the primer and first coat of paint we used a "fluffy"-nap roller, but for the final coat we used a dense foam roller.  The final coat turned out nice and smooth.

Tomorrow, we will be painting the backs with two coats of paint, and also prepping the upper kitchen "boxes" for primer.
Oh, and I was inspired to do a little project while the paint was drying...


The idea came from Brittany at Pretty Handy Girl. She's got some great projects on her blog!

Stay tuned for further updates as details become available on our progress.  I think we will all be amazed at the transformation.  CLICK HERE FOR REVEAL!