Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Useful Shelves from Old Drawers

Hey Everyone!  Thanks for dropping over for the visit, I'm so glad you're here!

Recently, I've been trying to tie up some loose ends on projects that have been in the pipeline for a while.  Do you remember when I took an old dresser and DIY'd it into our TV Media Console?  Well, there were those 3 top drawers that I removed:

I toyed around for a long time with ideas of what to do with those drawers, and got a lot of inspiration from Pinterest.  Deciding on a plan, I came up with this:

Y'all, all I did was:
1. Paint the drawer fronts with my DIY chalk paint
2. Paint the handles with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint
3. Cover the old BiCentennial drawer paper with contact paper found at Dollar Tree for $1
That was the easy part.  Finding small "feet" was not as easy, especially since I'm always trying to save a buck!  Hubs helped me cut 4 two-inch pieces from a large dowel.  We drilled pilot holes, then attached them with screws to the lower drawer (turned sideways). Yay!
I tried a couple of different ways of how the drawers would stack up, and my genius daughter gave me the idea of off-setting the drawers to add interest AND more shelf areas out on the sides.

When I was attaching the 3 drawers together, Hubs gave me a hand because I didn't want the screws to show, and there was only a small "lip" on the backs. We ended up drilling holes through those narrow lips, and then used small bolts and nuts to tighten it all down. Oh, and some wood glue in between the drawers, too!
It was fun styling these drawers-turned-shelves!  Since they are slim, and about 48-inches tall, they would fit into just about any room where you need storage: bathroom, baby nursery, or guest room.  What other ideas can you come up with?  As for this shelf unit, they will hopefully find a new home this weekend when I put them out in our neighborhood yard sale!

Next time, I'll be posting how I built a bench from pallets, that has a shelf for shoe storage!

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Pallet Wood Shelves

Don't you just love FREE?  The other day, I made these 2 shelves for our living room for FREE!

We have some leftover wood that had was salvaged from some previous pallet projects, and I found some inspiration from the lovely Joan over at ScavengerChic.com <---that's the link to her original post.
Her sister just used crosspieces and the top deckboards of a pallet to make her shelves. That’s right, just two pieces nailed together and screwed to the wall.  That was some inspiration! òòò

Source: Scavenger Chic
Hubs and I had saved one cross piece (with the cut-outs for forklifts) from a pallet we dismantled, and I also had a cool piece of deck board with a natural "live edge" on it.  I cut them both into two pieces, since I wanted 2 finished shelves about 24-inches long.

Next, I marked where I wanted to pre-drill and countersink holes for screws on both deck (now shelf) boards, and I went to work on that, on both shelf boards.

Then, I put the pieces at right angles along the back edges, and assembled them together!
I decided to use hardwood flat head plugs inserted into the screw holes, to give it a slightly more professional look. Just put a dab of wood glue in the holes, tap in the plugs, and allow to dry completely. Afterwards, I sanded down the plugs that were sticking up, using a rotary sander for quick work.  I did do a very light sanding to the boards, just to knock off a few splinters, but otherwise, they are in their "natural" state, no paint or stain for these cuties.

When I tried putting hangers on the back, I found that the D-style hangers (see photo below left) wouldn't work because they allowed the shelves to lean forward on the wall.  I switched to the sawtooth kind of hangers, and everything worked out. If this house were my own, and not a rental, I would have screwed them into walls directly, using wall anchors, so they would be extra-secure.

Don't forget to go check out Joan's blog Scavenger Chic for some inspirational projects!
It's made me very happy to have completed these cute shelves in about an hour (minus glue-drying time), and for FREE, too!   To use a Texas term, "Y'all gotta love free!"

In a couple of days, I'll be sharing my DIY pallet bench {and a quick desk makeover as a bonus!}.
Stay connected with me on Instagram, Facebook and G+ (links on top right of this page).